GTD Information Systems 2009 - Present
Software EngineerCurrently working at GTD Aeronautical & Defense and GTD Security Systems involved in different projects as Software Engineer using technologies such as C++, Qt, OpenGL, Linux & Windows. Implanted installations of WiMax + Video over IP systems.
- ALICIA: All Condition Operations and Innovative Cockpit Infrastructure is a European R&D research project to extend operations of aircrafts in degraded weather conditions. Currently designing and developing different modules of the proposed system architecture as C++ software developer. alicia-project.eu
- iPen: Software Developer role in implantation projects of a digital pen capable of recognise handwriting characters using Anoto and Vision Objects technology. I have been involved in the development of the software solution, both server/client sides of the software capable of processing the user generated iPen data. It uses Bluetooth technology to transfer the information, through a PC or a mobile. 95% of recognition accuracy for both upper and lower handwriting text. Some projects involve more than 1.500 iPens.
- Onboard Communications System:Software and hardware engineer role. This project enables the iPen as a tool to send data in real time from a SEM ambulance to the hospital. Communication is established through 3G/GPRS, Wifi and IP over TETRA from an embedded PC in the ambulance to transmit the generated data. I developed the software for the embedded device (reception of the iPen data and communication to the server), adapted the Bluetooth communication between the iPen and the embedded PC, and customized the iPen software at the server side.
- WiMax: Project Manager role in projects where WiMax technology has been physically installed and configured to transport wireless signal to places where there is no Internet coverage using Point to Point stations and to transport video flows from security and traffic cameras installed at the street.
- Video over IP: installations using Video over IP have been implanted. I have obtained certification from Genetec as installer and configurator of its video over IP security managing software Omnicast.
CompraSinGluten.com2009 - Present
Founder, Engineer and Executive Director
- Founder of CompraSinGluten.com company, an online shop for coeliacs, where they can obtain all kind of gluten free food. I developed the website and inserted the products, enabled the online payment platforms, the marketing and also established an association with a physical food store to facilitate the logistics skills. This personal project let coeliac people to choose among more than 300 articles and buy them online. They can discover new gluten free products that they are not aware of. Articles are sent to anyplace in Spain.
Telematic Services Group (UPC) 2005 - 2009
- Four year period at the Technical University of Catalonia as a fulltime researcher at the Telematics Department in the TELECOM BCN School in Barcelona, obtaining the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Telematics.
- I have been working in the design and implementation of a routing protocol specific for video-streaming services over wireless Ad Hoc IEEE 802.11 networks (ammendments .11b and .11e).
- Real and simulated multimedia platforms have been designed and implemented. The open source ns-2 simulator has been used over Linux. Various modules for the simulator have been developed, published and included into it. They are available to download here.
- QoS (Quality of Service) patterns have been given to the applications developed as well as to the routing protocol. Scripts have been implemented to monitorize in real time the user perceived video quality (PSNR).
- Main working issues: Video-streaming services and Unix platforms.
- Several studies and publications have been done along these years for national and international Congress and Conferences. Works were presented through conferences in the country where the Congress took place. Also, high impact factor journals have been published, indexed in the JCR database.
Abertis Telecom2002 - 2004
Project ManagerTwo years period working at Abertis Telecom as Project Manager at the Applications and System Control Department developing the following tasks:
- Migration to the TETRA network all the meteorologic stations of the Environment Department (METEOCAT) that were using VSAT communications system.
- Coverage measure of the whole TETRA network property of Abertis Telecom.
- Support and continuous updating of the configuration documents related to different migrating systems and telecontrol network installations.
- Analysis of new market solutions and new developments, corresponding to telecontrol data integration.
- Monitoring implementation of different telecontrol projects on the systems side.
- Implementation and development of some demonstations for potential data service customers over TETRA networks using IP connectivity: video-streaming on real time, WAP services, FAX transmission and reception, e-mail, HTTP, FTP, databases, etc...
|Programmation languages||C, C++, HTML, Qt, OpenGL, awk, Python, TCL/TK, bash (shell scripting), SQL, ActionScript.|
|Internet Protocols||IP, TCP, UDP, RTP, RTCP, RSVP, IGMP...|
|Operative Systems||Advanced level in both Linux and Windows.|
|Open source||Used to work in open source projects, as well as using and customizing open source platforms and applications.|
|Server Software||Web Server: Apache, Tomcat, IIS.|
|Script: PHP, Servlets.|
|Remote access: SSH, NxNoMachine, VNC.|
|Content management: Drupal, Joomla.|
|Data Bases: MySql, PostgreSQL, Oracle.|
|Other services: Samba & Active directory.|
|http://||High knowledge of http related techniques (SEO, web design, Flash)|
|Offimatic knowledge||Advanced level: MS Office, OpenOffice, LaTex, Gimp & Photoshop.|
Spanish and Catalan
Fluent level spoken and written. Obtained the EOI title (Official Language School from Barcelona), passing all five courses.
Doctor of Telecommunications Engineering March 2009
PhD on Telecommunications Engineering enforced on Telematics obtained at the Technical University of Catalonia, at the Telematics Department (ENTEL) of the Telecommunications Engineering School of Barcelona (TELECOM BCN).
Qualification: Cum Laude.
Advisor: Mónica Aguilar Igartua.
Description: The main objective of this thesis has been to develop new techniques, and to combine existing ones to improve the performance of multimedia services over wireless IEEE 802.11x Ad Hoc networks, focusing on the provision of video-streaming services over MANETs. Aspects such as multipath routing, network state monitoring, video characteristics, path classification, dynamic self-configuration, life-time of the routes, trust and reliability of the nodes within the forwarding paths, among others aspects have been tackled.
Awards: UPC Research Grant (4 years).
Projects: Collaboration in national and international R&D projects: SECONNET, ITACA, ARPA.
Contributions: Thesis code contributions can be downloaded from here .
Publications: International conferences were held as well as articles for journal publications indexed in the JCR database. They are available at the publications section.
Advanced Studies CertificateApril 2007
Telecommunications EngineeringSeptember 2003
- Specialized on Telematics.
- Dissertation specialized on Telematics with honors.
Raspberry Pi2012Developing new projects and ideas through a Raspberry Pi, an ARM GNU/Linux box.
Web developer 2003 - PresentDesign, programmation and support of professional arquitecture and engineering office web pages. Currently developing and maintaining comprasingluten.com.
- cmkmarquitectura.com: architecture related web page.
- iteinforme.com: architecture related web page.
- comprasingluten.com: online gluten free food shop.
Online Education Systems 2007 - 2008
- System Administrator of the Spanish Britannica-Salvat Online portal.
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) techniques were applied, to increase visits to the portal up to 20.000%.
Technical supportTechnical support at the COAC stand on CONSTRUMAT 1999.
- Bicycle: Go cycling with my friends.
- Motorbikes: Do long travels by motorbike.
- Scuba diving: Do scuba diving in some beatiful place.
- Travel: There are always new places to discover.
- Driving license A and B (car and motorbike).
- Car and motorbike available.
Journal Citation Reports indexed magazines
- M. Aguilar, L. J. de la Cruz, V. Carrascal, E. Sanvicente, "A game-theoretic multipath routing for video-streaming services over mobile Ad Hoc networks", Computer Networks, ISSN: 1389-1286, Submitted on January 2011. Purchase
- Muñoz, J. L., O. Esparza, M. Aguilar, V. Carrascal, and J. Forné, "RDSR-V. Reliable Dynamic Source Routing for Video-Streaming over Mobile Ad Hoc Networks", Computer Networks, issue 54 (1) : Elsevier, pp. 79-96, 01/2010, (IF 2009 = 1.201, Q2).
- Igartua, M. A., C. V. Frías, C. L. J. de la Llopis, and S. E. Gargallo, "Dynamic framework with adaptive contention window and multipath routing for video-streaming services over mobile ad hoc networks", Telecommunication Systems, issue Vol. 50, Iss. 2: Springer Netherlands, 06/2012, In Press, ISSN: 1018-4864, DOI: 10.1007/s11235-010-9388-x, (IF 2008 = 0.396, Q3)
- Aguilar, M., and V. Carrascal, "Self-configured multipath routing using path lifetime for video-streaming services over Ad Hoc networks", Computer Communications, vol. 33, issue 15, no. 15, 6, 2010, ISSN: 0140-3664, DOI: 10.1016/j.comcom.2010.06.019, (IF 2008 = 0.884, Q2).
- Carrascal, V., G. Díaz, A. Zavala, and M. Aguilar, "MM-DSR: Encaminamiento multicamino con QoS para múltiples fuentes multimedia sobre redes móviles Ad Hoc (MM-DSR: Multipath QoS routing for multiple multimedia sources over Ad Hoc mobile networks)", IEEE Latin America Transactions (Revista IEEE América Latina), vol. 5, no. 6: IEEE, pp. 9, 10/2007, ISSN: 1548-0992.
- Díaz, G., V. Carrascal, and M. Aguilar, "Cross-Layer Optimization for Video-streaming Transmission with QoS over Ad hoc Networks: A Holistic Approach", Journal of Communications Software and Systems (JCOMSS): Special issue on Cross-Layer Design for QoS Support in Wireless and Hybrid Networks, no. 3, pp. 3, 09, 2007, ISSN: 1845-6421.
- Carrascal, V., A. Zavala, G. Díaz, and M. Aguilar, "Dynamic cross-layer framework to provide QoS for video streaming services over Ad Hoc networks", Fifth International ICST Conference on Heterogeneous Networking for Quality, Reliability, Security and Robustness, ICST QShine 2008, 07, 2008.
- Carrascal, V., G. Díaz, and M. Aguilar, "Multipath Routing for Video-Streaming Services over IEEE 802.11e Ad Hoc Networks", 14th International Conference on Software, Telecommunications and Computer Networks (SoftCOM 2006), 09, 2006.
- Carrascal, V., G. Díaz, and M. Aguilar, "Multipath Routing with Layered Coded Video to Provide QoS for Video-streaming applications over MANETS", 14th IEEE International Conference on Communication Networks (ICON 2006). ISSN: 1556-6463, 09, 2006.
- Carrascal, V., G. Díaz, M. Aguilar, J. Alins, and J. Mata, "QoS Provision for video-streaming applications over ad hoc networks", EUROCON 2005, 11, 2005.
- Díaz, G., V. Carrascal, and M. Aguilar, "Video-streaming Transmission with QoS over Cross-Layered Ad hoc Networks", 14th International Conference on Software, Telecommunications and Computer Networks (SoftCOM 2006). Best Student Paper Award, 09, 2006.
- Díaz, G., V. Carrascal, and M. Aguilar, "ViStA-XL: A Cross-Layer Design for Video-Streaming over Ad hoc Networks", 3rd. International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems (ISWCS 2006), 09, 2006.
- Carrascal, V., G. Díaz, A. Zavala, and M. Aguilar, "MM-DSR: Encaminamiento multicamino con QoS para múltiples fuentes multimedia sobre redes móviles Ad Hoc", VI Jornadas de Ingeniería Telemática, JITEL 2007, 09, 2007.
- Díaz, G., V. Carrascal, and M. Aguilar, "ViStA-XL: Diseño Cross-Layer para Video-Streaming con QoS en Redes Móviles Ad hoc", XXI Simposium Nacional de la Unión Científica Internacional de Radio (URSI 2006), Oviedo, 09, 2006.
- Zavala, A., V. Carrascal, G. Díaz, and M. Aguilar, "Modelo Analítico para el diseño de servicios video-streaming sobre redes MANET con QoS", VI Jornadas de Ingeniería Telemática, JITEL 2007, 09, 2007.